These days, America is less safe. Terrorist attacks go unreported, or are called “workplace violence.” Mexican drug cartels are committing mass murder in the cities and “Knock Out King” mobs — who tend to resemble Obama’s mythical sons — range freely. Our schools and military bases have been converted into gun-free kill zones for terrorists and loonies.
In such times, we should keep firmly in mind that WE ARE THE FIRST RESPONDERS. The police generally get there only in time to put up the crime scene tape and help bag the bodies.
Most law enforcement personnel are in favor of armed law-abiding citizens. They KNOW the bad guys will have guns. These days the drug cartels and their paramilitary groups are better armed than the local police or Border Patrol.
My friend Don Bendell, best selling Western Novelist, Green Beret, Vietnam Vet, and seasoned warrior, has some thoughts about this. I post Don’s words verbatim, while I may quibble over minor details.
- A cute little concealed .380 on your body is more useful during a mugging or car hijacking than an AK-47 in your safe at home.
- If a 9mm double tap in the chest with hot self-defense rounds, followed by one to the head, doesn’t get it done, it just might not be your day. Keep pulling the trigger.
I agree with Don about the rest. The main thing is to make sure when it is over that the body (or bodies) on the floor is NOT you or your loved ones. The Second Amendment is not about Bambi, it is about your God-given right to self-defense.
VERY SERIOUS. NOT A JOKE:
We have been having so many mass killings in recent years, and unfortunately, I believe we are going to have even more. It will get worse before it gets better (which it will do). Now, more than ever before, many people like me have Concealed Weapons Permits and carry weapons on them, not to be paranoid.
Simply, like a Boy Scout, to “Be Prepared.” Because I am a US Army Special Forces combat veteran, and a serious student of the martial arts for almost 48 years now, and am a real cowboy; I think I am well-qualified to give advice in case you have a gun and do get involved in defending yourself or others in a shootout with a psycho, terrorists, gang-bangers, or any kind of criminal.
Some of these I got from others. Most are from me. Here is what to do if you must get into a gunfight:
1. Have a plan for any possible contingency, the same way you program your mind to run off the road if a truck comes left of center at you suddenly.
2. Decide to be aggressive enough, quickly enough.
3. Have a back-up plan, because the first one probably won’t work.
4. In five years, nobody will remember the details of the caliber, your stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived.
5. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet in a gunfight.
6. Saying, “Freeze!” “Hands up” or “Don’t move” is nice if you are in Hollywood making a movie. The only sound they should hear is you flicking off your safety.
7. Anybody worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive. You do not want your attacker to shoot and kill you right before he dies.
8. Try not to attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a “4,” and preferably it should end with the word, “Magnum.”
9. Move away from your attacker. Distance is your friend. (Lateral & diagonal preferred.)
10. Use cover or concealment as much as possible.
11. Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours.
12. If you must fight, fight like a cornered sow grizzly protecting her cubs; Fight like a crazed animal . . . but a wise animal that is always thinking . . . always planning to win decisively.
My beloved wife, Pat, who has gotten versions of this lecture from me many times over the years, asked me to add these words.
“You macho guys always take it for granted that people will shoot straight during high stress situations. Should this happen, I will be scared to death. Please add that you do NOT want to accidentally shoot your neighbor, children, or pets. Be careful of what is behind and around your target.”
She is correct, of course. With that said, if the time that we hope never happens does happen, and she fails to put double taps center mass into our assailants, and to keep shooting him/her/them until they are down and out, I have promised to meet her on the other side to discuss weapons handling.
If we are ever killed with our own guns the bad guys will have to beat us to death, because those guns will be empty. I tell Pat that the only thing sadder than running out of ammo is being killed with a full magazine still on your belt or in your purse. (See my Thriller novels for details.)
America has an excellent framework of Federal Laws to keep guns out of the hands of criminals. Unfortunately, these laws are NOT being enforced. The political focus has been to attack the First Amendment Rights of law abiding citizens. Link.